Search This Blog

February 20, 2012

Update Training Post

Back from a little Blogging Break.

After hearing I won the Paleo Challenge, I went out with Kristen and her friend and had a couple of pints of ice cream to celebrate.. That turned into a few more pints, chocolate bars and other junk food over the next 4 days.. Whatever.. not to upset about it.. Trying to learn moderation.. Not very successful just yet, but I'm working at it.

Training as sort of been all over the place right now..Took about a week off after a brutal leg workout left me hurting for days. Getting some good stuff done just need to find a goal. This got my thinking about my current situation and the situation I'll be faced with in NJ.. I will not be able to train at a crossfit gym in NJ, so I've decided to do an Olympic Lifting Cycle for the next 5 weeks.. I found this program off of www.cathletics.com and it looks to be just what I need.. Lots of Olympic Lifting and skill transfer moves like clean and snatch pulls, halting deadlifts etc..  A big squatting/leg strength emphasis (which I believe is a weak point for me)  - high bar back, front, overhead - some assistance work as well as pulling strength,core etc.  Looking to get stronger with my legs in this cycle and get as much Oly Lifting in as I can before the move. Then I'll reevaluate where I'm at and decided whether or not to do one more cycle or switch back over to crossfit football training. Once I'm up in NJ, I'll start my 5/3/1 strength cycle with a hypertrophy goal. I want to put on as much muscle as possible and then come back to Naples and really get back into Oly Lifts.. I just really enjoy it. I love how technical it is and how precise you need be with your form. Plus, I feel it has great transferability to my sport.

My last few days of training, like I said, have been all over the place. Lightweight Snatch and Clean n Jerk doubles, High bar back squats for 8-10 reps + 20 rep Back Squat finisher, some GHD work, sled pulls etc. Just doing some fun stuff really.. no focus, just wanted to get back in the gym after some time off and have fun. Trying to get ready for the Open.. I had a little mishap during a clean and the weight crashed down on my wrist while my elbow was caught on my knee.. So my arm had no where to go and my wrist just absorbed all that weight.. Hurt Like Hell. Its been sore for almost a week now. Haven't been able to do any pressing movements. Range of motion is getting a lot better, been icing it every day multiple times a day in an ice bucket. Going to run it through some easy tests this afternoon.. Front rack position, push ups, pull ups and some other light weight movements with a wrist flexion emphasis. We'll see what happens.. Today is the best its felt so I hope this is a sign of a quick recovery and not a lingering problem. Haven't been able to swing a golf club in a week which is a bigger problem than me not competing in the Open.

No comments:

Post a Comment